A Brief History of Bishop John Carroll Cathedral School
John Carroll School began in 1919 by parishoners of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cathedral, with the help of the sisters of Mercy, and was called Our Lady’s School. Twelve grades were offered.
In 1932, the name of the school was changed to John Carroll, in honor of the first Catholic bishop of the United States. It was not until Catholic High (which is now Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School) opened in 1950, that John Carroll closed it’s 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grades becoming an elementary school. The kindergarten program was added in the fall of 1985.
The school year of 1991-92 was the first year without a Mercy sister as principal and the first lay principal was hired. To be more readily identified as a Catholic school and to identify whom John Carroll was, Bishop was added to the school name in 1993.
During the 75th Jubilee year, 1994, the original school building was completely renovated and a two-story, nine-classroom addition and gymnasium was added. Beginning in the fall of 1994 classes was held in the gymnasium and Mercy Center (the old convent) until the spring of 1995, when renovations were completed. In the fall of 1995, a pre-kindergarten class for four-year-olds was added.
In the spring of 2009, the school library was temporarily relocated to a portion of the parish hall so that a new science lab and instructional class could be added. In 2010, new construction and renovation of the schools entrance began for the administrative offices to be moved to the front entrance/ground-level. This made room for the area to become the new media center in the 2012-13 school year.
Throughout the history of Bishop John Carroll Cathedral School, the parish and school community have been dedicated to Catholic values and academic excellence. Throughout the years, that commitment has remained constant as the school continues to strive to meet the needs of each succeeding generation of students.